Real Gluten-Free Waffle Bread (Nut Free)

Recipe for a Basic Gluten-Free Waffle Bread (Nut Free) - Uses gluten-free all purpose homemade gluten-free flour mix instead of almond flour.

One of the most difficult tasks you have, once you go gluten free, is to figure out what to do about bread. Sandwich bread is one of the harder things there is to replicate on a consistent basis.

Homemade gluten-free bread also dries out extremely quickly.

For that reason, I'm always on the lookout for ideas on how to keep gluten-free baked goods soft and moist for at least 2 or 3 days. Long enough that the two of us have time to eat it before it's too dry and crumbly.
Affiliate disclosure

Now that we're in Texas, and here for the long haul, making a decent loaf of sandwich bread is on my do-to list.

In the meantime, I recently ran into a low-carb inspired idea a few weeks back about using a keto waffle recipe called Chaffles to replace the bread for sandwiches and burgers.

Keto recipes are often low in flour, so I was super interested in trying to make my own gluten-free version.

Lower flour means lower carbs, which is less problematic for my blood sugar. Keto recipes like to use almond flour and/or coconut flour, which are very low in carbs, as well as gluten free, but tends to be rough on my gut.

So I switched out the almond flour for my homemade all-purpose gluten-free flour mix (recipe below) and then played around with the other ingredients until I got these basic waffles we absolutely love just right.

These affordable, gluten-free waffles are low in carbs, despite the alternative flour mix because it only takes 1 tablespoon of flour to make a waffle. That makes these waffles about 8-1/4 carbs each, around 16-1/2 carbs per sandwich; so I've been able to eat them without having to suffer any gastrointestinal issues.

I just skip a side dish and let hubby chow down on pickles and baked beans.

There's a whole Reddit sub devoted to Chaffles, which I need to investigate further since they're so good. Chaffles is what the low-carb world calls their low-carb waffles since the original recipe uses only grated mozzarella cheese and eggs.

I haven't tried the original egg-and-cheese variety.

It sounds like it would taste like burnt egg and cheese because there's no flour in the recipe. We're very happy with the following gluten-free version that I've come up with, so I have no desire to try and eliminate the flour.

REAL Gluten-Free Waffle Bread (Nut Free) - Looking for an authentic gluten-free bead recipe that doesn't use almond flour? Here's a real gluten-free waffle bread that is soft, fluffy, and affordable.

My Favorite Gluten-Free Flour Mix


The type of gluten-free flour mix that you use in gluten-free recipes really matters.

At one time in my gluten-free journey I was on a mission to find a commercial flour mix that would work well with my recipes, despite the higher cost, but I didn't have much luck.

I went back to making my own mix because it was both dependable and affordable.

Except for recipes that call for measuring out the various flours and starches, such as my recipe for homemade French bread, I almost always use the following flour mixture:
  • 2-3/4 cups superfine white-rice flour
  • 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
  • 1 cup tapioca starch or flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
Combine all ingredients and stir very well. I usually double the recipe and use my stand mixer to do the stirring. Store in an airtight container.

Makes 5 cups of flour mix.

(Available at Amazon)  

REAL Gluten-Free Waffle Bread


Makes 4 mini waffles

Ingredients:

2 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large eggs
1/4 cup gluten-free flour mix
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Directions:

Heat a mini waffle iron until hot. (The brand I have is Dash.)

In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, nuke cream cheese until it's soft enough to spread. About 30 seconds. Stir until creamy.

Add water and oil, and stir again. Mixture will be lumpy, but that's okay. Beat in eggs, one at a time, stirring until it's as smooth as you can get it. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine flour mix, sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Add to wet ingredients and stir well.

Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray. Measure out 1/4 cup of batter and pour it into the center of the waffle iron. Don't use more than that or the batter will overflow. Gently smooth out the batter a bit.

Close the lid and bake for 5 minutes.

Repeat with remaining batter until all of the batter is used. This will make 4 mini waffles, enough for 2 sandwiches or burgers.

These can be lightly reheated in the toaster, before serving, but that's not necessary to be soft. These waffles stay soft once cooled.

I've also read that you can reheat them in an air fryer but I haven't tried that yet.

Vickie Ewell Bio

Comments